Friday, September 9, 2011

Zucchini Pancakes


Here is the recipe I left you guys hanging for the other day ( i've got to keep the spice alive in our blog relationship somehow!). My friend from the gym came up to me yesterday wondering about the zucchini pancake recipe! She said it reminded her of when her mom used to make these for her growing up. I've come to realize that pancakes in any, shape, or form, are always a comfort food. Maybe it's the memories they bring up, saturday morning breakfast with the fam, or teaching little cousins how to make them, or  maybe it's just the sound of the word pancake ( or maybe just the word cake) that is an instant comfort no matter what word is in front of it.  I mean, even Poopy Pancake almost sounds good.  Poopy?? Yikes i've been spending too much time with people under the age of ten . 

Anyway now that i've ruined everyones appetite, I served these with my stuffed burgers, but then ate the left over for breakfast. They actually have more of a breakfast-y feel because they are very egg-y  ( does adding a  "y" onto any word make it a legit word?)  I was thinking these would be pretty awesome with some ham, bacon, or sausage on top and turn it into a B.E.Z (bacon, egg, zucchini.  I know, who cares what time of the day you prefer to eat Zucchini pancakes, Nicki.  Here are two more pancake recipe's you should try spaghetti squash pancakes and Protein Pancakes

 Here is the recipe:

You will need:
( this will make 8-10 medium sized pancakes)

- 2 large Zucchini
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbs coconut flour
-1/2 tsp garlic powder or clove fresh garlic
- sea salt & pepper for taste
- coconut oil for frying ( or olive oil if you prefer)
** onion would be good too, but I used all my onion in the burgers that night)


1. shred zucchini ( approx 2 cups shredded)  I went out and bought myself a fancy shredder a few months ago, honestly, I prefer the cheese grater!  Only took  about 5 minutes ( the time it takes me to figure out how to assemble the fancy shredder), Plus you get a nice little forearm/bicep workout in.
** important note if using cheese grater : If you have a lovely fresh manicure, stop grating a few inches away from the end of zucchini-- a few inches of zucchini isn't worth an annoying eye sore of a chipped fingernail. ok thats all for now**

2. Whisk eggs and sift in coconut flour, this flour gets pretty clumpy.
3. add eggs and coconut flour to zucchini, add salt, pepper, garlic. mix well.  The mixture will seem watery, not like real pancake batter, but this is how its supposed to be.

4. Heat a few tbs of coconut oil in frying pan
5. I used a 1/4 measuring cup so scoop the mixture into the frying pan.

6. cook until brown on both sides.
There you have it!
Enjoy your favorite kind of "clean eats" pancakes this weekend, even if it's a poopy pancake( i'll grow up one day)

No comments:

Post a Comment