Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Lime in the Coconut Chicken

Well, I had left over limes from the margaritas and tons of left over cilantro from the mango salsa.  So when life hands you limes and its not an acceptable day to be drinking margaritas, make lime chicken!  This is very very simple.  Only ingredients being lime, cilantro, scallion, chicken, and coconut oil.  The less ingredients there are, the better it is for your health(usually) and the better it is on your wallet. 
When I first started trying to eat paleo, I ate everything plain. Plain chicken, plain turkey, plain beef, plain veggies, plain everything. Plain anything gets old pretty quick.  I knew most of the things I used to add flavor to my foods were out of the question.  Normally, I would have put cheese and sauce on chicken, gravy on turkey, BBQ sauce on burgers, ketchup or ranch dressing on ANYTHING.  I have no idea why it didn't occur to me at first that there were healthy, natural herbs, spices, veggies, and fruits that could add a ton of flavor to my foods.  Here's a list of a few natural flavorful/acceptable paleo ingredients you can try adding to your plain ol' chicken.
Oils: olive oil, coconut oil, walnut oil,
Dried Spices: onion powder, oregano, paprika, parsley, sage, thyme, tumeric, rosemary, cinnamon, curry powder, bay leaf, garlic powder ( basically any dried spice without sodium added-stay away from pre mixed seasonings-usually packed with sodium)
Herbs: basil, chives, cilantro, dill, parskey, tarragon
Veggies: onions, scallions, mushrooms, celery, garlic
** of course there are many more but this is just a start for those new to paleo.

Ok here's the Lime in the Coconut Chicken

- 3-4 tbs coconut oil for cooking chicken
- 2 tbs cilantro
-2 tbs scallions
-4 thin chicken breasts
-1/2 lime

1. Add coconut oil to a skillet and squeeze as much of lime juice in as you can.  Heat until coconut oil is melted-- I added the lime after the coconut melted and the cold lime and hot oil was a bad idea- got sprayed with hot oil.
2. when oil is melted add scallion and 1 and 1/2 tbs cilantro. sautee for about a minute
3. add chicken- cook until white all the way through

4. thats basically it!  I put some mixed greens on a plate put about a tsp or 2 of olive oil over them and squeezed some lime over it, then served the chicken over my mixed greens salad and sprinkled the remaining cilantro over the top.  You can serve this with your favorite veggie.
** would be yummy with some mango salsa ontop as well!! note to self..

No comments:

Post a Comment