Thursday, May 26, 2011

Stuffed Peppers

After eating chicken for three nights in a row, I decided it was time for some beef tonight.  I love stuffed peppers, but every time I try to make them something doesn't come out how I wanted it to.  Last time I made them, I cooked the meat first then added it to the peppers and baked it afterwards, but I didn't like how the peppers didn't seem cooked all the way.  This recipe I got straight from the Paleo Cookbook I bought ( I added a few things) and it called for putting the meat in the peppers raw and cooking it covered for an hour.  I thought this would be great because all the juices would allow the peppers to get nice and soft. I was right, after an hour cooking it covered the peppers were perfect!  But the meat was only browned on the outside and I do not do pink beef, especially in stuffed peppers!  Ugh!  I was too hungry to put them back in the oven for another 1/2 hour or so, So I ended up scooping all the meat out and finished browning it in a frying pan, then added it back to the peppers.  So my suggestion to you would be to the brown lightly the meat first, then add it to the peppers and then bake it covered with foil for about an hour.  Despite the set back they were still delicious and I was full after one!

Here's what you need:
- 1 pound ground grass fed beef
- 4 large bell peppers or 6 smaller
- 1 egg
- 1 scallion chopped thinly
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- dash of garlic powder
- dash of sea salt
- tbs melted coconut oil or coconut oil spray

-- preheat oven on 350
1. cut the tops of the peppers and scrape out the seeds

2. place in a coconut oil sprayed or greased baking dish
3. in a bowl, mix the beef, egg, scallion, garlic powder, sea salt, and one can diced tomato
4. lightly brown meat in frying pan
5. add mixture to peppers
6. any left over mixture just dump into the dish and top off with the other can of diced tomatoes

7. cover dish with tin foil and cook for about an hour

Enjoy!  I'm still looking for the Perfect Paleo Stuffed Pepper Recipe, let me know if you have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment