Monday, May 16, 2011

Tilapia Tango's ( Tilapia "Taco's" w/ Mango Salsa)



I have not forgotten about Clean Eats!  It was just temporarily put on the back burner.  I finished up with finals last tuesday and left wednesday for a mini vaca to california to visit my brother.  I'm still trying to get my body back to normal between the time difference, 24 oz beers @ country concerts, and over indulgent meals.  The only exercise I really got in besides a mini hike was walking to my towel on the sand, where I layed for hours on end.  I never thought my favorite thing to do would be laying still on a beach for hours with nothing but my ipod and some trashy magazines.

On mother's day I was at Barnes & Noble trying to pick out a very last minute gift for my mother.  I didn't find anything for her there, I did purchase a new book, which will greatly benefit my blog.  "The Paleo Diet Cookbook"- by Loren Cordain.  While this cookbook is pretty simple, lacking any pictures at all for any of the recipes, it is full of great recipes and ideas for those who, like myself, who get sick and tired of eating the same old thing. 

Myself and my new cookbook- please ignore my post-workout look

Anywho, i'm not a fan of fish ,I know i've probably mentioned this a million times.  I want to like it so badly so I have more options.  I actually like sushi much better than cooked fish, maybe its the rice, soy sauce, and saki that usually go along with it.  I am well aware of the nutritional benefits of fish so i'm trying to find ways that I actually enjoy eating it, instead of trying to force down that wierd textured meat.  I found this recipe for Tilapia "Tacos" and Peach Salsa( which I changed to Mango, when I couldn't find a peach anywhere in Whole Foods) in my new book!  I really liked this recipe, the cilantro and sweetness from the salsa really complimented the Tilapia well. 
"Ok Nicki, stop talking about yourself and just show us the stinkin recipe"

You will need:
4-6oz Tilapia Filets
Cayenne Pepper to taste
2 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 red bell pepper chopped( I left this out, peppers haven't been treatin me well lately)
2 scallions diced
2 garlic cloves- left this out also, the garlic/onion/pepper family is no good for those with tummy troubles.-- for those who have bellys of steal--go for the extra flavor.  At least those less fortunate will have better breath.
2 tbs chopped fresh cilantro
whole Romaine lettuce leaves
1 avacado- chopped
1/4 of a lemon


These guys will be your taco shells
1.squeeze lemon over Tilapia filets and season with cayenne pepper and pinch of sea salt-- set aside for now
2. heat oil in skillet over medium flame.  Add scallions ( and peppers if you are adding them) and saute for 3 minutes.
3. Add garlic if you are using it and cook for another minute or two.
4. move veggies to side of pan to make room for fish.  Add Fish and cook for four minutes- turning after two minutes. ( or until cooked all the way through-- will fall apart easily when cooked through)
5. remove fish and run fork through it--should fall apart very easily into tiny pieces.
6. scoop into whole lettuce leaves to form a taco
7. sprinkle with cilantro- there is also cilantro in the salsa, so if you aren't a big fan leave the extra cilantro out.
8. Add Avacado and Mango Salsa for taste.

Mango Salsa
Roughly 1 cup chopped Mango- I bought the pre-cut mango from whole foods.
1 tbs fresh squeezed lime juice
2 tbs red diced onion- add more if you like
1 tbs minced fresh cilantro
5 chopped cherry tomatoes
2 tsp Hot sauce


Enjoy!
~Nicki "Clean Eats" Peet

No comments:

Post a Comment