Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Art of Mayo Making

I have finallllly mastered the Art of Making homemade mayo!  It took about 3 attempts and a bunch of wasted olive oil and time, but after watching this video from Sarah at every day paleo, it made it much easier! 

  If you decide to make your own mayo know that it will take at least 10-15 minutes.  All the recipes I followed said slowly add olive oil to blender while blending.  They aren't kidding, you have to drop in the olive oil drop by drop at first (with 2 cups this takes a while).  My first few batches failed because I added the oil too quickly and it just was a watery mess.  I would say at least the first ten minutes you should be adding the oil in drop by drop, then once the mayo starts to emulsify, you can add a slow stream, it will eventually thicken and get a mayo texture.  Another tip I learned from this recipe from every day paleo is to actually use a lower quality olive oil.  You want to go to stop and shop and get a plain old olive oil, no extra virgin.  The extra virgin has a really potent taste, I used extra virgin on my last attempt and I couldn't stand the smell when I was trying to make it.
Also, she put a fun twists on her mayo recipe, you can turn it into dips, dressings, any other flavorful condiments.  I made a plain mayo and a roasted red pepper mayo that Sarah also posted on her site.  I'm very excited to now have my own "paleo" mayo to make chicken salad with! here is the every day paleo blog for this recipe click here for blog
 Ok here it is:

What you will need
- 2 cups of olive oil
- 2 eggs ( on the every day paleo site it shows how to pasteurize your own eggs if you are worried about salmonella)-- but using good quality farm fresh eggs pretty much eliminates your chances of getting sick from this.
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1. add eggs, vinegar, and mustard to blender.  Blend alone for about 30 seconds.

2. keep blender running on low and SLOWLY drip in olive oil drip by drip until the mixture starts to emulsify.  It is very tedious and time consuming, but if you add it too fast the mixture will get ruined.  It took about 10 minutes for my mixture to start to emulsify, and then I added the oil with a slow pour.  Be patient.
3. Once all the oil and your mixture is creamy and thick, you can turn off the blender and add mixture to a small dish. 
4. then add the cayenne pepper and sea salt

I then split the mixture into two dishes, one I kept plain and one I made into a roasted red pepper mayo for a dish I was making for dinner(that recipe will be posted tomorrow)

For that I put roasted red pepper and garlic in the food processor, blended it up and then folded it into the mayo.  This could be use for a veggie dip, sauce, condiments, sea food, etc.  Another idea I want to try is a sundried tomato & basil mayo, maybe a pesto dip, you can basically add any spices, herbs, or flavors that you want!




2 comments:

  1. Nicki, it looks wonderful. I love the addition of the red pepper for a dip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the red pepper dip was so yummy! I'm going to try sundried tomato and basil next time!

    ReplyDelete