Monday, April 18, 2011

Paleo BBQ sauce

Some people like all aspects of their life plain and simple including their food.  I am the complete opposite.  I need condiments, dips, sauces, seasoning, oils, anything to keep food from getting boring.  Once you get bored with you're food is when you turn to take out and fast food.  I found this recipe for BBQ sauce, mainly because tomorrow I am making Pulled Pork (check tomorrow or wednesday for that post).  Every BBQ sauce has brown sugar, maple syrup, salt, etc.  This recipe I found, I actually didn't even change that much, which is unlike me.  For lunch I had this BBQ sauce over some left over rotisserie chicken.  YUM
Check out the recipe here http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/06/sog-zesty-bbq-zauce/
The only changes I made were I added 2 tsp of honey, and a dash of cinnamon.  I doubled the recipe so I have enough for my pulled pork tomorrow. I doubled everything except the garlic and onion ( you know me and garlic and onion, we don't work well together).  I also made beef broth with no-sodium added beef broth packets.  Found them at stop and shop, I probably could have found no sodium added already made beef broth at whole foods, but I didn't feel like goin up that way today.  Even the "low sodium" beef broth still had a ton of sodium.  I also used no sodium added tomato paste.  That way you can add your own celtic sea salt for taste.  I also read on another blog who used this recipe, they added a can of pineapples which sounds really good for a hawiian type sauce.  Only problem is canned fruit has a tonnnnn of sugar in it.  If you want to add pineapple I suggest cutting up your own.

Here is the exact recipe I made
- 2 6oz can tomato paste (preferable organic)
- 2.5 cups of beef stock -depending on the thickness you want your sauce
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 of an onion
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
-2 tsp honey
- dash or two of cinnamon
** This is the doubled recipe, that i'm going to use for pulled pork.  Stick to the single recipe if you don't need alot.

So I put some on my chicken and the rest is ready to go for when I put my "Pork Butt"-yes thats what its called- in the Crock pot tomorrow morning.
Enjoy! Check back tomorrow to see how my pulled pork comes out!

No comments:

Post a Comment