Monday, March 21, 2011

Home made Paleo friendly not-so- Italian Wedding Soup

I'm only about 1/4 italian, little bit of irish little bit of english, little bit of german, etc. I'm pretty much a mutt.  But my belly is 100% italian.  I'll never ever get sick of Italian food.  Why does it have to be so good??  Anyway, Italian Wedding soup is one of my favorites of all time.  I couldn't find Italian wedding soup without pasta anywhere, so I just made it myself.  This recipe left me with a ton of left over soup because I usually cook for only me.  But it was perfect to have with a salad for lunch for a few days, I also gave some away, to get other opinions, just because I like my cooking doesn't mean other people will.

FYI- I always wanted to know what was up with the name of this soup.  I always figured italian people served it at weddings for some reason.  But it really got its name because us stupid Americans misinterpreted the name of the soup. Minestra Maritata ("Married Soup") is what italians called it because meat and greens go well together.  That somehow ended up getting translated into "Italian Wedding Soup".

With that being said, there is your food for thought and food for belly for the day.  Here's my recipe:

‎2 containers-low sodium chicken broth
1 bag spinach
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced onion
*** Trader Joes has containers of carrots, onions, and celery, pre-diced with about a cup of each veggie.  That is what I used.
2 gloves garlic
3ish tablespoons olive oil (enough to sautee veggies)
celtic sea salt for taste- use as much or little as you would like
*** sautee veggies(EXCEPT spinach) about 8 mins add chicken broth bring this all to a boil then add the spinach and UNCOOKED mini meatballs.

The meat-a-balls: ( this takes part takes foreverrr- put on your favorite pandora station while rolling the balls)
pound (ish - i didnt end up using all the meat) ground turkey
3 sweet italian sausage links
1 egg
1/2 c almond flour
1/2 c flax seed meal
Dash of garlic powder
**optional- any seasoning you like
-- I started off making really tiny meatballs, then after about 10 minutes, they got progressively bigger.  Still yummy though.

let it simmer until the veggies are soft and meatballs are cooked all the way through. YUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment