Thursday, March 31, 2011

You're Favorite Berry Shortcake

So today was just one of those blah days.  I don't have a new dinner recipe to post from tonight, I had NO interest in really doing anything after being in the hospital for school all day and then running outside in the rain tonight at the gym.  I just wanted to come home and take a warm shower finish my homework and go to sleep.  You can still make a healthy meal when you're tired and unmotivated, you don't have to resort to pizza and take-out ( even though we would all love to).  I always have chicken breast in my freezer, I tossed some on the grill and put it over romaine and whatever veggies I had hanging around in my refrigerator.  High score on the quick and easy scale, mediocre score on the satisfying scale.  But hey, if eating Paleo was always delicious and satisfying EVERYONE would do it all the time!  Kudos to those who eat strict Paleo 7 days a week, I know I need a cheat at least once a week or I'd go a little nutty.  But what if we could have a cheat that wasn't really cheating that much?  This dessert I made the other night when Colin was over for dinner because I wouldn't hear the end of it if there was no treats for Colin after dinner. For my Raspberry and Blueberry Shortcakes I used the Recipe for Protein Pancakes that I got from Marks Daily Apple , and I also used the recipe for heavy whipping cream "frosting" (under the cupcakes blog) and tossed on some fresh blueberries and raspberries.

The "Shortcake" (same recipe as protein pancakes minus the protein)
- 1 Banana
- 1 egg
-2 heaping spoonfuls of almond butter
- couple tablespoons of coconut oil
---Melt Coconut Oil in Frying pan, spoon thorougly mixed batter to the pan and cook until brown on both sides.  Keep pancake size small or they get difficult to flip.

Whipped Cream
1/2 c - 1 cup of heavy whipping cream ( I used half a cup because I only needed enough whipped cream for four pancakes)
2 tsp honey

--Use hand held mixer until you get a thicker whip cream like texture, or wisk until you get the desired whipped cream like texture ( this could take up to 10 minutes---No I don't have a hand held mixer)

Add a couple of your favorite berries to the top and you  have a Paleo Friendly Berry Shortcake! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment